"LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." Isaiah 33:2



Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Project Puree - Corn Fed

So, this is not the most exciting stuff that's been going on in our house, but I happen to have the pictures organized better than anything else. (So keep tuning in!)

About a month ago I decided that, difficult as it was, I needed to stop making baby food and use up what I had. So, I abstained for several weeks, and THEN.... you guessed it... I had zillions of baby food jars to fill! SO I went on a filling spree!

  • Carrots and zucchini... old faves...

  • Asparagus/zucchini and...
  • Several fruit mixtures. Pear/blueberry is the big favorite.
  • Steamed rice and corn... mixed with peas and carrots. This one looks gross and it is SUPER sticky but SHE LOVES IT! Not sure if its the rice or the corn she loves so much, because I mixed them, but she dances in her seat when she eats this one. (She dances when she eats any fruits, cheerios, oatmeal or any food off of her mom or daddy's plate too.)

  • Green beans (my first successful batch... the trick is chop them small - half inch or so - and steam them to death... I boiled them the first two times and they were a stringy mess
  • Mango/Pear
  • Mango/Blueberry
  • Mango/Pear/Blueberry
  • Mango/Nectarine (I eat this one.... so yummy)
  • Pear/Nectarine/Blueberry
  • Pineapple/Banana (First banana mixture I have been able to keep from turning brown, due to the pineapple's acidity) It's Leah's favorite behind pear/blueberry and applesauce straight up. She told me.
  • Green Bean / Blueberry -- I actually don't recommend this one. I tried it and thought it was fine. The blueberry flavor takes over, but the texture is green-beanish. Weird. Leah eats it but seems to like it less and less each time. I know.... I got carried away.

She also does lots of big girl food these days. But due to teething (about 6 teeth at once) she has major appetite and mood inconsistencies. ;-) (That's the nice way to say it.) The grapes in the picture above are frozen, and if you don't know about the yummy-ness of frozen, red, seedless grapes, let me inform you... I have been freezing them and snacking on them all my life. They taste like candy... so good! Wash them and then put a bunch in a freezer bag. You'll thank me!

Leah loves them cut into little pieces. Good for cutting new teeth, too. The yellow lump seen above is a frozen, steamed apple. When I'm making apple or pear sauce I freeze a few of the quartered, steamed fruits for Leah's gnawing pleasure later. Cold hands... soothed gums... full tummy!

Not pictured here is spinach and a 5 lb butternut squash that filled tons of jars and big tubs. I made several interesting b-nut squash batches...
  • b-nut + green peas + spinach (good way to hide those high vitamin veggies if your little squirt won't eat them)
  • b-nut + pimentos
  • b-nut + sour cream
  • b-nut + prunes (old favorite... careful with prunes... a little goes a LONG way!)
Gotta get blogging! Happy Groundhog Day everyone!!

2 comments:

julie said...

I remember those days... Maybe I need to go back to that to get my daughter to eat vegetables now!

Brandie said...

fun!! great job too!