Meet my mom. (aka Momma, Betty, Mamasita, Nice Lady, Skipper and more..) In honor of the 2008 Summer Olympics beginning tonight, I titled this blog with her Chinese name. (I got this from one of my favorite Amy Tan books... I assume Amy knows what she's talking about although I've never verified that this actually means "Beautiful Betty") I thought I would just introduce you to her because everyone who knows Betty likes her. I’ve liked her
for most of my life. :) She is fun. She always gets accused of being drunk, even without one sip or drop. Not by the police or anything, just by her daughters. She is fun and silly and so we sometimes can’t tell if she’s had a few or not. For example, did anyone else get this excited when NKOTB got back together?These pics were all taken in May when my mom, my sister and I went to NYC (my first time!)
My parents are puppy raisers for the Guide Dog foundation for the Blind, located in Smithtown, Long Island. After 11 months of socialization with my mom and dad,
their second puppy was called back in for Boot Camp training. Emerald- (named by a “sponsor” who will pay ~$6000 to name a puppy…not my parents by the way, if they were to ever sponsor a
puppy it would be “Abby” I’m sure) had to be returned after spending 24-7 going with my mom and dad EVERYWHERE they went. It’s a bit of a downer, until you get to go and see exactly what goes on in the
process and the outcomes! Leslie and I got to go this time! We dropped Emerald off at the guide dog foundation, took a tour, said goodbye to Em, had dinner with one of the trainers and her 2 guide-dogs-in-training, and then got to go and see Alley!!! Alley was
my parent’s first puppy, who now is a true-blue guide dog leading her blind handler, Grace. See some of her pics! The whole thing was completely inspiring. Then it was on to NYC to drown our sorrows…we sure missed Emerald and Alley.
My parents are puppy raisers for the Guide Dog foundation for the Blind, located in Smithtown, Long Island. After 11 months of socialization with my mom and dad,
their second puppy was called back in for Boot Camp training. Emerald- (named by a “sponsor” who will pay ~$6000 to name a puppy…not my parents by the way, if they were to ever sponsor a
puppy it would be “Abby” I’m sure) had to be returned after spending 24-7 going with my mom and dad EVERYWHERE they went. It’s a bit of a downer, until you get to go and see exactly what goes on in the
process and the outcomes! Leslie and I got to go this time! We dropped Emerald off at the guide dog foundation, took a tour, said goodbye to Em, had dinner with one of the trainers and her 2 guide-dogs-in-training, and then got to go and see Alley!!! Alley was
my parent’s first puppy, who now is a true-blue guide dog leading her blind handler, Grace. See some of her pics! The whole thing was completely inspiring. Then it was on to NYC to drown our sorrows…we sure missed Emerald and Alley.
I won't detail all of our big city experiences, but here’s one little story for your entertainment. Have you ever see those idiot Texan tourists who try to wear their loveliest summer flip flops as they walk through the city? You know… maybe they are right in front of a crowd at Radio City Music Hall when it begins to rain and they are ill-equipped to manage the wet terrain of the greasy, slimy city streets in their slick flops. Don’t you always roll your eyes and watch them just waiting for them to fall? So, yes I’m still embarrassed of my ignorant footwear choice that day, but I handled the fall so gracefully! I don’t know the name of the yoga position I ended up in but I bounced back up rather quickly after a few dazed and confused moments in the dirty street. NOT ONE PERSON offered to help me up! Not even after the second time it happened a couple of hours later in the middle of Rockefeller Center!! RUDENESS! I wasn’t injured except for a tiny hematoma on my pride that resolved within seconds after realizing that truly, NO ONE IN THIS CITY CARED! That’s the great thing about apathy… there can be very little humiliation.
A few more pics for you… You just think that rickshaw is full... But here comes Abby too! 

Later!




6 comments:
abby you are so funny... i am still laughing about the rickshaw
That was entertaining. I would have laughed AND helped you up if I were in NYC then =)
Although I am honored to be the subject of your blog, I must qualify the NKOTB remark. I was IMITATING many of the middle-age-crazies who were dancing (not as well as me) in the pouring rain at the Today Show. I was never that impressed with the New Kids and less impressed with the old farts on the block. Boy, did we have some adventures in NY! (mom tried to tell you not to wear those flip-flops, didn't she?) Abby, you forget to mention Chinatown!
Abby, can you believe I have never had any formal dance training?
"Not even after the second time it happened..." Gold.
First of all, I want to confess that I have been reading your hysterical blog for so long today, that I actually don't remember how I ended up here! I think I was on facebook, and then something, or someone, or.....blah blah blah. Anyway.....it's great entertainment and you are very witty! This is Barbara Cahill and your wonderful mother-in-law is one of my dear friends. And yes, she often says things just to get a reaction! I was let in on the secret of you and Kevin expecting early on, and I am so happy for the two of you! So about that mother-in-law room you will need to add on to your house in a few years....make it big because the Supper Club intends on meeting every other month on the first thursday...even months (because we are not odd) until we are at least 100! Just a thought.....
Post a Comment