When I was growing up I thought a nit picker was just a person who picked everything apart and was a nag and a irritating perfectionist. It wasn't until I was an adult that I even contemplated what the word actually meant! As a nurse I have had the opportunity on more than one occasion to check the heads of my patients or a worried friend's child for signs of head lice or nits (the eggs of the louse). I am a nit picker! (hush your mouth, Kevin) It wasn't until I checked the head of one patient and a head louse actually jumped a foot in the air and almost landed on me that I realized that I had just been lucky so far to never had found any lice or nits and I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER be a school nurse or volunteer to pick nits EVER again!
But... on Saturday I learned to knit! And now I'm now a knit picker! I decided this was appropriate because right now I spend more time picking and pulling at my work that actually knitting... I keep stopping to stretch out my handiwork and thumb through each little stitch to see if it looks like the one before. And I think how just the day before I couldn't knit a stitch and now I have created 4 inches of a scarf! It will take me til Christmas I'm sure, but I'll get it done. It's not perfect but I like to keep my mistakes intact because it reminds me of my progress. So I knit a row and then pull and pick and admire for 10 minutes before starting my next row.
I LOVE learning new things... and did you know that knitters have their own language? I've already learned to cast on, to knit, to slip a stitch as if to knit and to slip a stitch as if to pearl. Some time this week I'm going to learn how to pearl. (I don't know if this is how to spell these things, but it sounded like what they were saying.) So, of course my goal is to be able to knit something for my daughter before she is born. I haven't decided what yet... I need to get my scarf finished first. Also, for me the best way to retain something new that I've learned is to teach it to someone else. I'm trying to convince Kevin to let me teach him to knit. Priceless. ;)
Kevin says this is the perfect new hobby for me because I'm already an old lady at heart. I think this is rude for two reasons. 1. Everyone I know who knits is young and 2. My ONLY other admitted old lady tendency is my love of Luby's cafeteria... But Kevin likes it too! We went on a date there last week.... after 7 pm! There were two people there younger than us and they looked like little girls who were there with there grandparents. I like old ladies, but I really don't think I am one. And I'm pretty willing to admit most of my weirdness.
My sister tried to teach me how to crochet a few years ago, but I never became independent because I never mastered the art of turning. I could continue to crochet in one long single line forever and ever and it was pretty..... but we only had one pet snake, and therefore only needed one snake afghan. The beauty I have found thus far in knitting is that there are no turns! Just one row and then another and another... (There may be some sort of a fancy turn stitch to make something cooler like a sweater or a purse) Of course this might mean that I may only ever make a bunch of scarfs, but I know LOTs of people with necks, so it's ok!
Here is a photo of my scarf so far! YAY! 

6 comments:
Cute!! I do not know how to do any of the above. I can however sew a button back onto a shirt or pair of pants and I can stitch-up a tiny hole on a shirt. But thats as good as my sewing/crafting skills go. Keep us posted and be sure to let us see your finished product.
I am jealous! I can crochet, but I would love to learn to knit... I heard it is harder. Is it?!
I started really knitting last November, and am now obsessed! I have some great baby patterns, if you want me to send you some. I started making baby blankets as a beginner, and have MANY!
Also, it's purl abreviated in patterns as a P. It's basically like knitting a stitch backwards.
Pretty! I will admint that knitting scares me. I bought a how-to dvd once and got very confused. I'm crochet all the way. Turning is still a slight problem, but I found a really great book with color coded pictures of the stiches that has helped a lot. Man, now I want to go buy some yarn. Did you know Vanna White has her own brand of yarn? Remember when you were Vanna White that one time? hahaha.
Remember that summer you and Jennifer got exposed at Summerama and I had to check your heads. What a memory!!!!
congratulations on your new skill -- I'd love a scarf!
BRANDIE - I will teach you since you are teaching me that art of couponing... by the way, I need to go to the next step.
JULIE - easier for me than crochet, only because NO TURNS... but it does make my hands cramp a little. But I can teach you too!
AMANDA - Thanks SO MUCH for your offer and your advice. I may be hitting you up for patterns. Your mom also said there is a ton of stuff on the internet and that if I get stuck I should call you to talk me through it! (I'm gonna try to purl this week instead of pearl... it will probably work better)
SARA - I'm going to find some pics and blog about when I was Vanna Brown... Odyssey of the Mind! Can you tell me why she has her own yarn? Can I get my own yarn line?
MOM - I tried to forget that summer! I will make you a scarf... probably for next birthday or Christmas. I still have something I started cross-stiching for you about 10 years ago, but I like knitting much better :)
Post a Comment