"LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." Isaiah 33:2



Friday, May 27, 2011

Bread-n-Bows

It all started with some ladybugs and a little lamb.

Back when Leah was sick with a pretty bad cough, the only way to keep her still and quiet was to sit in front of PBS all day long for a couple of days. After I'd seen enough quality, educational, children's programming to make myself sick, I decided to do a little project I'd been putting off for a few weeks.

Leah's favorite bow (ladybug ribbon) was purchased at the Farmersville Farmers and Fleas market. She picked it out and wanted to wear it with EVERYTHING. One day it fell apart and she said "that's ok... mommy can fix it." (???) I guess that's because I'm always claiming I can fix things... and sometimes I can.

I'm not what you'd call crafty. But I REALLY wish I was. So, with my mind numbed by the sounds of da-DA-da-DA El-mo's wooooorld, I completely took apart the remnants of the ladybug bow and fiddled with it awhile. I used some fishing line and a dab of hot glue and I liked the finished product even better than the original!

Don't get me started... on anything... cause its awfully hard for me to stop. I immediately decided that I needed to make Leah a sheep bow... you know, because her Aunt Leslie is a shepherd... and by the end of the next day this is what I had:



And here's the sheep bow: If I was sitting still, I was making bows. I was doing alot of experimenting. My first batch was mostly made of scraps from my gift wrap and craft boxes. I've gotten better now, and I have more of a system. And I have a full-fledged supply of ribbon and accessories. I've given most of that first batch away, plus another 30 or so.

My new passion for bow making was temporarily tempered by my newer passion for bread making! I LOVE IT! Kneading just might be one of my favorite pastimes.


My friend Brandie brought her recipe and her yeast all the way from Forney to help me make my first batch. It takes a good portion of the day but I think the smell in the house alone makes it all worth it.


Here's my first loaf. It was not dense enough (sorry McAnally's) but I've since fixed that along with some of my other issues.



Here is my second batch... a small loaf, dinner rolls, garlic rolls and a few sad looking cinnamon rolls. I've made MANY batches since these and I've finally found a good method for my cinnamon rolls. Its SOOOOOOOO addicting! We haven't purchased a loaf of bread since the first batch with Brandie. Thank you, my friend! Leah and Kevin and all our neighbors thank you too. :)


Let me know if you need a bow or some bread!

4 comments:

Brandie said...

Yummy!! Do share the cinnamon rolls recipe please!

Breanne said...

Look at you go! :)

Anonymous said...

Abby - I'm making hairbows, too! I haven't made as many as you... but, I'm working on it! Maybe one day I'll be an excellent bow maker like Abby Curley... :)

Carole said...

I am so impressed Abby! Those bows are so cute and that bread makes me hungry!