"LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." Isaiah 33:2



Monday, August 2, 2010

speaking of reading,

Have you ever read this book? I love Dr. Seuss books! I think his quirky rhymes and made-up words make reading fun... especially when your child wants you to read the SAME book over and over and OVER again. Plus, in many of them there are pretty good stories for grown-ups and even a good lesson here and there. Timeless.

My personal favorite is "Oh, The Places You'll Go" and Leah's is a toss-up between "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?" and Dr. Seuss's "ABC's" book. I know both of them by heart so we can "read" them any time. My memory is super weird. I have always been able to memorize story books and things I can visualize, but nothing terribly useful. ;) (Come to think of it, this gift came in particularly useful in the church nursery a couple of weeks ago when a particular young'n wasn't happy and we had no books!)

Back to the point, the Mulberry Street book seen above has a rather slow start, so Leah's little attention span never let us get past the first few pages of the book before closing it in favor of an old favorite. Until recently.

In the story the boy is trying to make a up a really exciting story to tell his father about what he saw on his way home. (sounds like lying actually, forget what I said about teaching moral lessons) He has gotten a pretty good start to his story, but he's not totally satisfied...

EXCUSE ME?????? I'm pretty sure there was a dramatic gasp after reading it the first time... with a double take... and then a second and third silent reading.

I do believe that God made males and females different for very good reasons. There are things that men are more well suited for than women and vice versa. And I love the differences between men and women... they make the world go round! But EVEN JANE!!! It might as well read "That's so lame that even dumb old JANE, a silly girl with no brain and no imagination could think of THAT!" That's just ugly and sexist!

I showed it to my mother-in-law when I found it and asked her to help me with the alterations. Here's what we came up with:
I feel better now. The playing field is just a little more even... and realistic! Most importantly I won't burn up every time I read this page! Now James ended up being the ignoramus in the group... but he's a man... he can handle it. :) Ha! I wonder what Random House would think about my editing?

I'm done with the rant.

Here is Curley Q reading her favorite car book. We have several that we keep in the seat pocket, but she always chooses Grover!

Same book, different day. :)

3 comments:

Carole said...

H loves dr seuss - in fact they share the same 2 favorites! I've never heard of that book, though. It is shocking how sexist it is!

your favorite oxymoron said...

You go girls! Boys drool! I mean... we are all different and special in our own ways...

You are such a good mom!

Aunt Les

Brandie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dr. Seuss as well! My younger two made me read "Go, Dog, Go" over and over and over and over again.