"LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." Isaiah 33:2



Friday, August 27, 2010

2nd Bloggiversary

I just realized that this month is my second bloggiversary. So before the month is over I thought I better document... alot of things can change in one year! If you would like to take a trip down memory lane, just click here to see Leah's bad hair, her first haircut (I still have her baby mullet in a plastic baggie), the first time she made a boy cry and the first time she gagged on her dinner.

Around this time last year I started project puree. My food processor and I had our "season finale" right before Leah's first birthday when she realized she liked people-food better than my baby food. But I do believe I miss my homemade applesauce and I will resume making it (for myself) along with a few other old favorites. These days Leah LOVES using a spoon and fork so I'm gonna try and make a few things thick enough for her to spoon herself. Right now she practices mostly with really thick oatmeal, Cheerios's with yogurt, sticky scrambled eggs and occasional spaghetti o's. (Which I now see the genius behind... if you drag and poke your spork around long enough you WILL snag an "O" or two! Good call chef B!)

I got to thinking about the things that have changed alot in my life over the last year...

My parking preferences have completely changed. I used to be a front row Joe. I got super excited about a close parking spot, especially the ones right next to the door. (My dad -ironically named Joe- used to call them "pregnant spots" and would pass them by so that a pregnant lady could park there. I know... no pregnant people ever parked there, because selfish people like me would excitedly snatch them up, but he always did it anyway. Do you realize that those signs they now have- "Parking for New and Expectant Mothers" -those were my dad's idea!! For 30+ years he's been leaving the pregnant spot open!) Nowadays though, I primarily value shade and then close proximity to the grocery cart return thingy,when applicable. Oh yeah, and NOT next to creepy vans... I never noticed how many there were before!

The use of superlatives is now completely meaningless in my life. Parenting has proven that using the phrase "I will never..." will almost guarantee that I WILL do that particular thing. And saying "Leah always..." pretty much ensures that Leah will no longer do or be whatever it was that I just said. Similarly meaningless phrases: loudest squeal, worst tantrum, saddest face, cutest smile, stinkiest diaper, sweetest hug... the list goes on and on and I assume I've made my point. Say the -est word and you are sure to be proven wrong... good, bad and ugly.

And the ickiest one of all: I now participate in the most annoying behavior known to man. I refer to myself in the 3rd person. AAAAAAAAAAH! I have ALWAYS hated this. It makes my skin crawl to hear others do it. But "Mommy said NO" just seems to have such an astounding impact on the little angel. It is almost as if she doesn't hear my voice at all until I say "Leah, are you listening to Mommy? Mommy said....." and then all of the sudden...obedience! (Well... maybe not all of the sudden, but its the only thing I say that gets her attention.) If she didn't call me Mommy about 600 times a day I'd wonder if she really knows who Mommy is. She sure seems to care more about what Mommy says than what I say!

One more... I'm now drawn to bows, ruffles, tutus and pink! I LOVE PINK! (I've NEVER liked pink!)

Having a baby girl causes such strange phenomenons!



P.S. I still hate facebook.

3 comments:

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

TOTALLY laughed out loud at the change in parking preference. I will park close to a 1/2 mile away as long as the spot offers a nice shaded area...and I feel SOOOOOO crazy happy when I find that perfectly shaded spot!

Brandie said...

Great blog!! I can appreciate everything you have said. I was never going to rock my child, never was I going to have a dirty car with cheerios on the floor and my kids would be perfectly obedient. Whoa.

PS - Facebook rocks!

a: said...

hilarious! i read the van thing out loud to Levi who (as you emailed me you noticed) drives the filthiest white van kidnapper van ever.