So, Project Puree is going on in the Curley household. There are people who think I'm an alright cook. But I am pretty sure my husband isn't one of those people. This is probably because although I will usually follow directions and go with old tried and true recipes when cooking for others, I tend to do all my experiments on my husband's meals. I'm an "estimator" and a "substituter" at heart and sometimes that really works! And sometimes it makes for a weird dish full of baked chicken breasts SOAKED in Tabasco sauce... This is so true that when I make him something that tastes good... he always seems genuinely surprised.
Nevertheless, I decided to make Leah's baby food myself. Lots of reasons...
- healthier (Or at least I know exactly what's in it...)
- simpler (she eats what we eat and vice-versa... I'm convinced this is going to make me broaden my horizons too... like eating prunes and mushrooms... yuck!)
- cheaper (my first project cost less than $1 for about 24 ounces of baby food!)
- simulating-er (she develops an expansive palate because I can offer her a wider variety of foods, flavors and textures than are available in stores...blah...blah...blah...now that I have said that she will probably end up being the kid who will only eat American cheese and tater tots)
- funner! (This is the main reason because really...what's more fun than puree-ing?) (Can you tell I'm having a little trouble with suffixes today...)
I can't tell you how elated I was to make my first batch of baby food for our little curley q. We started with sweet peas.... how appropriate. Kevin says "the only thing that would be better is if you grew your own peas in the backyard and THEN made the baby food out of it." Sounds sweet and encouraging doesn't he? Except that this is the way he (lovingly) makes fun of me. To this wicked attempt at ridicule, I only smile and say "OK." So you can look forward to a future post about the creation of the-curley-family-vegetable-garden. ;)
My first experience was so much fun I decided to share it with all who care to see!
Here we go!! Peas...
I just thought this one was a cool picture.
.
Doesn't this girl look excited about her mama's cooking?
.
And into the food processor...my new #1 favorite appliance. (My #1 used to be my stand mixer, but it is in need of repair. Plus, I just never had that many foods that needed processing before. It pretty much only got used at Thanksgiving and Christmas... not anymore!!)
Good thing we had that bib with the pocket on the front! Poor baby.
Turns out, it was just a little thick. A little dab of freshly expressed breast milk to thin it out did the trick. Yummy! (TMI?)
Not too shabby...
.
At first I wanted to get the fancy contraption from Williams-Sonoma that steams and purees your food with the push of a button. I asked around and found out from a-friend-of-a-friend that these basically steam everything right into mush. No opportunity for the customization I desire. (However, if any of my friends have this contraption, I still want to see it in action.) This same friend-of-a-friend, who was hailed as the "homemade baby food queen," turned me on to these nifty little containers that can go in fridge, freezer, microwave and dishwasher! Perfect!
.
Just fill them with 1 or 2 ounces of whatever you are making and freeze.
LOVIN IT! We'll keep you posted, I know you can't wait.
6 comments:
I made Luke's food too, but I ended up using canned veggies - so I think that kind of cancelled out the fact that I made it myself :) I used to freeze his food in ice cube trays and then empty the trays into big zip loc bags and then we'd just pull out a couple of different cubes for his meals.
So much fun! Best of luck!
Oh, and I saw your comment about my trip to the donkey farm... if you still feel the need to read more here's the link:
http://mcanallyfamily.blogspot.com/2009/05/fantasstic-day.html
Miss Leah is a lucky girl!!!
I totally have a picture of Hunter gagging on baby food...uh, and I MEANT to take it:) I'm so mother of the year!
what does "simulating-er" mean?
Love it! I made all of E's food too...it really is simple. I would make several batches at a time, and they would last for weeks in the freezer. It was so much fun!
I loved making baby food. I froze mine in ice cube trays, then popped them into ziploc bags, thawed and fed to baby. Great job with the peas!
Post a Comment