"LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." Isaiah 33:2



Thursday, August 20, 2009

I hate you, Facebook!

I'm unaware which part of hell froze the day MY MOTHER (and all of her friends) got a Facebook page. But I know it had to be chilly down there somewhere on that particular day. I'm lamenting the loss of so many good blogging friends... to Facebook. So many reasons (excuses) I've been given...
"Its more fun." "You can interact with people more easily." "There's more to do." "My pictures upload so much faster." "EVERYONE is on it!"

Every time I ask a friend why they haven't posted a blog recently the answer is the same "I'm always on Facebook!" I, however, can not access Facebook, because I do not have a Facebook account or page or whatever, and therefore I can not keep up with these folks!

"OHMYGOSH!YOURNOTONFACEBOOK?"

Nope. I think I am one of the last 16 humans on Earth without a Facebook page. Why? Because I have a problem. I become too easily addicted.


Example: It was a few years ago that a friend called me around 9pm one night and said "You will never believe who I found on myspace!!!!!!" And 8 HOURS LATER... I finally turned the computer off... my mind still click, click, clicking! The click, click, clicking from a friend's page to one of their friends, to an acquaintance of that near stranger who happens to know one of my other long lost friends... weird, small world... click to that friend and find more people you may have been loosely connected to at one point in your life and click on one of them... and it never ends!!! Eventually you start clicking on people you don't know who look slightly interesting or have a funny phrase under their picture and soon you've visited the "space" of A ZILLION COMPLETE AND TOTAL STRANGERS and you have seen all their "favorite links" and all their stupid YouTube videos!
and you feel really really weird about it...

I find it difficult to control these addictive behaviors, and therefore I try to avoid them. Blogging can be kind of the same. I try to keep up with several friends (old and new) via their blog pages. I try to stick to just those few that I know of, but inexorably my eye wanders to the blog list of a friend and I find someone else I think I know... and I click! Not often though. Probably only a handful of times, because I know I have this problem. I always think... "What (and WHO) am I missing by NOT doing all the click, click, clicking that I yearn to do?"

So what is a girl with an addiction supposed to do when she just wants to keep up with a few blogs and this FACEBOOK keeps stealing her friends, family and her joy!!??!!??

Finale - It does make me feel weird to look at people's "stuff" on the Internet when they don't know that I'm looking at it. So I try not to. If I go to your page, I usually let you know the first time... so I'm not just a no-commenting-voyeur. On the contrary, if I happen to walk by your house at night and your lights are on and your blinds are open... I will look in. Not peeping tom style... but in a non-creepy way from the sidewalk... I slow down and I look and see what the inside looks like... what color you have painted your dining room... etc... Why don't I feel weird about this?

7 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

Abby C---
It's BLD here (formerly BLC)!

I ditto everything you said re: Facebook!
I don't do facebook either!

Congrats on your little one. She's super cute!

Tell your fam that I found your blog & said "Hi!" to them as well.
:)

Giggle said...

I'm starting a "KEEP THE BLOG" campaign!!!!

Betty Cooper said...

Hell didn't exactly freeze over -- still pretty warm I imagine. My name is Betty and I'm not a facebook addict. I can go for weeks without looking or commenting with no apparent symptoms. I love your blog -- it's nothing like a facebook entry -- not even close.

The Ballard Family said...

1. I said "NO" for a long time, but eventually caved!
2. I go through "addiction" spells. Some weeks I'm on there for hours...others I only check it out for like 5 minutes. It's weird!
3. I do plan to update the blog soon. I started an update a week or so ago, but haven't made much progress.
4. Tell your mom that we should be FB friends. :)

Josh Medlock said...

Hey, just wanted to say that I agree with most of what you said. I am a Facebook(er) but I don't let it consume me. I still blog and get a kick out of linking my blog to facebook. That way I get the best of both worlds.

See you soon.

Brandie said...

Weird.... Facebook is just another way to connect with friends. My blog is to keep my family up to date on our family. I too dont spend hours on FB. I will update my status but most times thats via phone. And for me, updating with some wacky comment about the kids is a way for me to release my frustrations at what they did. This saves them from a beating =)

Get a Facebook!

Anonymous said...

I agree that blogging is nothing like facebook. You are such a good blogger and commenter - keep it up, Abby! :)