"LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." Isaiah 33:2



Sunday, June 24, 2012

Thumb Check 2012

I Corinthians 3:6 I planted the seeds... But God makes them grow. . The garden has been more full of drama than veggies this year. I planted about half the seeds I planted last year to prevent the overcrowding. I also planned to thin the seedlings like I should in order to maximize the size and quality of the fruit. Barely did this last year and my garden looked like an overgrown jungle in a matter of weeks.
But before I could even get a picture this year... something (I blame opossums but lets be honest that's just because I am prejudice) ate almost all of my seedlings. Those little guys burst through the dirt reaching for the sun's nurturing light only to be plucked up and swallowed by a nasty little garden villain. Something ate every green bean, okra and zucchini plant. And they ate my bell peppers and jalepenos. Not once but twice! After they ate all my peppers the first time I replaced the plants thinking surely nothing would eat hot pepper plants twice! Looking back that wasn't a smart move...
I was left with 2 squash plants and a couple of cucumber and melon vines that have yet to bear any fruit.
We were still excited by our first fruits of the year... As pitiful as it seems. This was our first harvest: 1 yellow squash and 2 cherry tomatoes.




But the tomato plants are loving the weather and thriving in their Earth Box again this year. I planted 2 small plants and they began sprawling like crazy.




One day I counted 60+ cherry tomatoes on this plant alone!




The other plant is heirloom and they are delish!




For a few weeks it was frustrating to pick 1 ripe cherry tomato every 2 days. I was lucky to make a side salad by the end of the week. But now we are cooking with gas! Every 2-3 days I pluck about this many fresh tomatoes out of my backyard!




Next year I may just skip everything else and be a tomato farmer!
I have learned a lot about myself because of this garden. Each time I plant or water or pull weeds God reminds me of the work He is doing in my life and in the world around me. Lately he has been planting this deep within me: I make things grow, not you. Don't try to force everything. Don't try to control every one around you. Just do what I have taught you. Just plant. Just water. Just weed. Just wait.

No comments: