My sister, the shepherd, asked for a bat house for Christmas... and I obliged. Go ahead and let that marinate for a minute.... A bat house.... is a place where bats sleep... She wants bats to come and sleep at her barn... So much that she is going to put a little house up for them so they will feel welcome.
Turns out she is not 100% nuts... there is actually no better mosquito control in all the world than a bunch of bats. Apparently bats eat like zillions of mosquitoes at every meal. And you know how if you have a dog, you get it a dog house. If you like birds you put up a bird house in your yard. And if you enjoy creepy little blood-sucking Halloween mascots... you install a bat house in your barn! If you build it, they will come. We did it pre-fab style!
Leslie was thrilled to receive this gift. So we decided on a time to meet and get the thing installed so the winged creatures in town could start spreading the word about the new bat digs that were now available.
Now... our dad is the kind of sweet, wonderful, chivalrous (sexist) guy who thinks its a man's job to climb on ladders, drill holes and install things. So when he heard this was what we planned to do he headed out to head us off. Sometimes this annoys me... I am a doer. I love projects. I love power tools. I laugh in the face of danger. But today, it was really cold. And I was really glad he was up on the ladder getting it done quickly while we supervised.
1 comment:
She's not crazy; she's a genius! I've heard tons of great things about bats for insect control. Way to go, Leslie! And what a great & thoughtful gift from you.
:)
Post a Comment