"LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." Isaiah 33:2



Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Oopher Pete's sake!


I love that girl. She is fun!!
I have a really LONG list of words that I love too. I LOVE words! Mainly I find medical terms that make me smile but there are some non-medical terms too…. All my favorites are really fun to say... or they look cool... or both. There are more, but these are the ones off the top of my head...

expectorate
mullet
blog
lump / lumpy
meninges
pudding
schnitzel
filibuster
fiduciary
uvula
labioplasty
megalodactyly
coitus
Adirondack
sphygmomanometer
blepharospasm
oophorectomy

Oophorectomy, one of my all time favorites, means the excision and removal of an ovary.... a surgical procedure I DID NOT have to have! Immediately following the delivery of our little bundle of Curley, my excellent surgeons moved right along to deal with Dermita. They were able to excise the tumor... show Kevin... allow him to take a photo... and save my entire ovary! I was behind the stupid curtain the whole time (well, the top half of me was) so I didn’t get to see it but Kevin got to see the whole thing and said it was pretty remarkable. He later talked to the docs in the hall and they told him that when they cut into it, it was full of hair and other gross stuff. No reported teeth, but they only made one dissecting cut in the O.R. so I guess we'll never know!

The pathology report was completed before we left the hospital and so we got to leave with Leah, both of my ovaries and the knowledge that the tumor was indeed benign.... and now completely gone! Bittersweet since my request to take her home in a jar with us was denied.

I promised I wouldn’t post icky surgical photos... but I lied! She was larger than they anticipated (Dermita, not Leah) and the photo is great... not gruesome to me at all... so I’m posting it. So if you don’t want to see a picture of my exposed uterus... don’t look down!!! (the big, white softball sized thing is the dermoid... if you look closely you can see my tiny white left ovary...)


Oh... and please let me know what you think of my favorite words...if any of them are your favorites too... and if there are any fun or funny ones on your list!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT LESLIE!!!!!

5 comments:

your favorite oxymoron said...

Thanks little sis! I love the new pictures! What a cutie patootie! Can't wait to spend my birthday lunch with you girls!

I can't think of any good words right now... but I will get back to you when I do (you know I will).

Love you!
Aunt Leslie

Lori said...

Told you that pic was TOTB material (top of the blog). Looks great!

Unknown said...

Love the pics, she's so cute! I can't believe how big dermita is! I thought for sure it would be the size of a golf ball or something similar...not a soft ball! Glad things are going well, and that you got dermita out.

Brandie said...

She is so beautiful! Leah, not Dermita.

betty cooper said...

I want everyone to know that smile was for me!!! She was on grandbitty's lap waiting for her mommy at the dentist. Isn't she the cutest one??

funny word - dipthong :-)